Water Buffalo Yogurt
Made from 100% Natural Milk!
Our naturally thick yogurt has only two ingredients: Water Buffalo milk and active bacterial culture.
The following stores are currently stocking our yogurt:
*We’re at the Comox Valley Farmers’ Market every Saturday.
View our Distribution List
- All Thrifty Foods locations
- All Whole Foods locations
- Most Choices locations
- Most Country Grocer locations (excluding Cowichan)
- Most Red Barn locations (excluding Vanalman)
- Natural Pastures Cheese Co, Courtenay
- Courtenay Country Market Courtenay
- Quality Foods Courtenay
- Edible Island, Courtenay
- Seeds Food Market, Cumberland
- John’s Independent Grocer Comox
- Quality Foods Comox
- Healthy Way Natural Foods, Campbell River
- Island Bison, Black Creek
- Weinberg’s Good Food Buckley Bay
- Springford Farm, Nanoose Bay
- Naked Naturals Qualicum Qualicum Beach
- Qualicum Foods Qualicum Beach
- Naked Naturals Parksville Parksville
- Island Naturals Nanaimo
- Community Farm Store Duncan
- Great Greens Duncan
- Health Essentials, Victoria
- Lifestyle Market Victoria
- Pepper’s Foods Victoria
- The Local General Store Victoria
- Mother Nature’s Market and Deli Victoria
- The Market on Yates Victoria
- The Market on Millstream Victoria
- SPUD Home Delivery Victoria
Grass fed means that our buffalo are out grazing in the fields from about April until the grass stops growing in the fall. In the winter months, when they cannot be outside, they are fed grass silage. We do not feed any grains and all of our feed in non GMO. This reflects the natural diet of a water buffalo. Our girls have a 5 mile diet, as all of the feed is either grown on our farm or purchased from local farmers.
Water buffalo became an important part of our farm after we purchased 15 young females from Fairburn Farm in Duncan, BC and a male from the Ontario Water Buffalo Company in Stirling, ON in December of 2010. We designed and built a barn which was completed in the fall of 2011 and retro-fitted an older building to become our milking parlour. The milking parlour was completed the night of March 7th, 2012 and our first buffalo baby was born the morning of March 8th, 2012 and we started milking!
In the past 5 years, our herd has expanded to a total of about 55 water buffalo and we have learned a lot! We strongly believe that our animals deserve to be cared for with kindness and respect and we strive to provide a healthy, natural, stress free environment for them. During the spring and summer months, roughly from April through until October, the water buffalo are on grass pasture. We bring them in to be milked twice a day, but the rest of the time, they are free to graze in the fields. During the winter months, the water buffalo are housed in a loose, sawdust pack barn. We group them in small, social groupings as they form strong bonds with their herd mates and mixing unfamiliar animals is very stressful. They prefer to sleep huddled together, often with their heads resting on each others backs. By using a sawdust pack barn, they are able to rest comfortably and lie down together.
Water buffalo have been domesticated in Asia for thousands of years. They are incredibly docile, curious, and friendly animals. Both the males and females have horns. Water buffalo have a gestation length of 10.5 months and can live up to 25 years. Their milk is pure white, mild tasting, high in milk fat (our herd is about 7.5%), protein and calcium but lower in cholesterol than cow’s milk. It is more easily digested and makes excellent yogurt and cheese.